10 December 2011

Too Good...


You may have had a similar experience...
It happened to me shortly after I got my driver's license, setting the date sometime in 1963 or '64, so the subject car would have been about five years old.

One of my closest friends says, "My Uncle knows a guy who is trying to sell a '59 Cadillac for $100.00. But there is a problem...
The owner died in it and wasn't found for several days, and the car reeks of the smell of his decaying corpse."

Wow. $100 for a car that was the "Cadillac" of automobiles when it was new?
For a new driver it was tempting. If necessary, I could drive that sucker around for a year or so with the windows rolled down, even when it was -4 degrees F. outside!
I talked with my old man...
"Well, if necessary we can take it apart and sell it as a parts car. The engine alone would be worth more than the asking price."

So I called my buddy-
"Tell your Uncle the car is sold. Where should I take the check?"

And you probably know "The rest of the story" already, don't you?
The rest of the story is that my good friend didn't return my call.

Oh well.
The car probably had a prosthetic hook hanging from the passenger door too.

5 comments:

Rita said...

Same story. Only it was a friend's mother, who was called into the gas station and there was a man hiding in the back seat.

Oh wait, no, it was the cousin of a friend who went to Vegas and woke up in a bathtub filled with ice with one of their kidneys removed.

Now, the stories run around the internet.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Worked with a salesman who occasionally used this line, "Folks, are you afraid of ghosts? No? Good? The reason we have this car priced SO LOW is someone died in it".

Of course the price was the normal price. Worked for him about a third of the time. In the car biz, that is a good average.

Scotty said...

I've always had the answer, those Christmas tree air fresheners!

Old NFO said...

Mine was the Caddy that was fished out of the lake... ran good, smelled funny... sigh...

Timothy Frazier said...

My dad had two '64 Cadillac coupes...one running and one for parts.

Big 455 CI V8 and power everything. I was heartbroken the day I came home and discovered he'd sold them both as scrap because he could no longer afford to put gas in the eight mile per gallon hogs. That was during the first "energy crises".

I think I'd have gladly taken one for 100.00, even if the corpse was still in it.